Sounds very simple but turned out very delicious, this apple cake was inspired by last nights madness on the Great British Bake Off.. watching it always gets me baking again!
I only had the basics in the house so this recipe was a good one for me to make. Just the usual baking supplies and some apples is all you need some this spongey fruity deliciousness, made in just 1 hour.
1. First of all pre heat your oven to 180c/Gas Mark 4 and grease your best baking tin (9″ is ideal for this mix).
2. Next grab your sieve and sift together flour, baking powder, salt and some cinnamon. I didn’t have any cinnamon, so I added a drop of almond extract to give it a nice kick.
3. In a separate bowl (more washing up, I know) mix together melted butter, brown sugar and caster sugar with a wooden spoon until smooth. I actually did this in the pan, so the heat of melting the butter made it a smooth mix.
4. Stir in the egg and vanilla, make sure you get a nice smooth airey mix.
5. Next add the flour mixture, this can get a little stiff to stir so make sure you add it in bit by bit.
6. Stir in the apples and walnuts (I didn’t have walnuts either, this is completely optional.)
7. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan and leave it in the oven for 30 minutes, or until it’s nice a springy to the touch like a cake.
8. Leave to cool for around 15 minutes before taking it out of the pan. It’ll be hot and you want to make sure it’s a lovely shape so you can cut it into fingers or squares to share.